COPPIN STATE UNIVERSITY MUST HOUSE THE BALTIMORE CITY POLICE ACADEMY
REASONS TO SUPPORT
COPPIN STATE UNIVERSITY
HOUSING BALTIMORE CITY'S POLICE ACADEMY
1. It directly addresses the injustices suffered in Maryland where Traditionally White Institutions, here the University of Baltimore, benefit while Maryland HBCU's, here Coppin State University, are ignored.
2. Coppin has an outdoor field, fitness center, gymnasium as well as a large unused space on Warwick Avenue spanning from Presbury Street to Baker Street where U of B has none.
3. Coppin already has ample parking space to accommodate these police academy students.
4. Coppin hosting the Academy would positively address and enhance police-community relations. Ignoring the chance to strengthen such relations is negligent at least.
5. Classes could assuredly be staggered through the Health and Human Services Building, which presently houses the Bishop L. Robinson Justice Institute, along with the brand new Science and Technology Center.
6. Coppin State University is the Western Anchor Area of West North Avenue clearly reflected with the Street banners from Fulton Avenue to Warwick Avenue which also happen to be one of the areas hardest hit during the Freddie Gray riots of 2015.
7. This area houses Coppin State University, Baltimore City Community College, Frederick Douglass Senior High School, George Washington Carver Vocational Technical Senior High School, and Robert W. Coleman and Matthew A. Henson Elementary Schools, just to name six educational facilities that would positively influence those in attendance.
8. The Greater Mondawmin Area houses both the Mondawmin Shopping Center and the MTA Subway and Bus Compilation with in walking distance.
9. Is this not, to some major degree, what the present Maryland H.B.C.U. lawsuit is all about - injustices sanctioned by the Maryland Higher Education Commission. The City of Baltimore, having two (2) H.B.C.U.'s, Morgan and Coppin, assuredly should not and must not be a part of supporting and continuing this injustice.
LET'S CALL FOR BALTIMORE CITY COMPTROLLER PRATT, MEMBER OF THE BALTIMORE CITY BOARD OF ESTIMATES, TO OFFER A MOTION FOR RECONSIDERATION AT NEXT WEEKS' BOARD MEETING AND EMPLORE THE MAYOR AND HIS 2 VOTES TO 'DO THE RIGHT THING.' COUNCIL PRESIDENT SCOTT IS ALREADY ON BOARD
WOULD YOU LIKE TO OFFER A FEW MORE REASONS, AND/OR MAKE A FEW ADDITIONAL SUGGESTIONS,RADIO TO MY LISTING?
Dr. Marvin L. 'Doc' Cheatham, Sr.
Civil Rights & Election Law Consultant
President - Matthew A. Henson Neighborhood Association
C.E.O. - Matthew Henson Community Development Corporation
www.mhcdc.net - Facebook @mhcdcfreedom
Twitter @mhcdc_freedom - Instagram @mhcdc_freedom
Convener - Maryland H.B.C.U.'s Matter Coalition
Member - N.A.A.C.P. - S.C.L.C. - N.A.N.
Phi Beta Sigma D.S.C. #124
410/669-VOTE Cell 443/255-6056